Quick and easy way to monitor Nagios itself?

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Fri Sep 4 21:08:59 CEST 2009

On 09/04/2009 02:50 PM, Jonathan Call wrote:
> Since I have a large Nagios distributed system the possibility of a
> Nagios process going AWOL on one of my many servers is a serious
> concern. Has anyone come up with a sure way to confirm (i.e. a cron job)
> that Nagios is processing checks properly?
>
> For example, I had one OCP_daemon process die, as a result the Nagios
> process hung for quite some time before it was discovered. Freshness
> checking is not an option because many hosts are behind firewalls or on
> private networks and so the central server has active checks disabled
> globally.
>
> Jonathan

See the check_nagios plugin.  One of the parms you can specify is to
have it check how long ago it wrote something to its log file.

We recently had a problem where our Nagios box went down and we never
got any notifictions.  So I set up another small Nagios instance whose
sole purpose is to monitor the primary instance.  It has just one
service check:  check_nrpe calling check_nagios on the main Nagios box
to verify that it's up and running.

HTH,

DR