nagios scheduling and Hard/soft state question

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Sep 3 23:11:21 CEST 2009

On Sep 3, 2009, at 3:38 PM, shadih rahman wrote:

> I don't have  is_volatile enabled.  Below I am pasting my log
> entries and service definition.  Thanks

Weren't you asking about HOST B;batteryliebert?

> log entries

> [1251914190] SERVICE ALERT: HOST A;batteryliebert;WARNING;SOFT;
> 1;Status is a WARNING level - SNMP agent not responding

Service isn't responding... get's a warning (must be default for that
plugin?). Nagios now checks the host --

> [1251914200] HOST ALERT: HOST A;DOWN;SOFT;1;FPING CRITICAL - HOST A
> (loss=100% )

Host is down!

> [1251914310] SERVICE ALERT: HOST A;batteryliebert;WARNING;HARD;
> 1;Status is a WARNING level - SNMP OID does not exist

If service has problem and host is down, retries aren't needed, HARD
state results.

I haven't looked in depth at the new check logic with the introduction
of parallel host checks to be absolutely certain but the above seems
reasonable based on what nagios did in the past.

--
Marc