check_by_ssh error - Remote command execution failed

Juki juki.emma at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 11:26:08 CEST 2009

Hello people,
I'm trying to implement check_by_ssh to monitor local resource usage on a
remote host running Solaris 10. I'm following instructions as described in
the attachment.

Following the instructions, I have managed to ensure that the central Nagios
server (running Nagios v3.0rc2 on SuSE Linux 10.0) is able to connect to the
remote host via SSH in a manner that does not require a password. Below are
my command and service definitions, as defined on the central Nagios server,
for one of the resources (root partition disk usage) I intend to monitor;

+++++ Service Definition +++++

define service{
        use                                  generic-service         ; Name
of service template to use
        host_name                       sauga02
        service_description            Root Partition
        check_command              check_ssh_disk!25%!20%!
        notifications_enabled         0
}

+++++ Command Definition +++++

# 'check_ssh_disk' command definition
define command {
        command_name    check_ssh_disk
        command_line       $USER1$/check_by_ssh -i /home/nagios/.ssh/id_dsa
-l nagios -H 10.151.28.22 -C /export/home/nagios/plugins/check_disk -w
$ARG1$ -c $ARG2$ -p $ARG3$
        }

I created a password-less public/private keypair as the user running the
Nagios service (typically "nagios"), sending the public key to the remote
server, and then (as user "nagios") logging into the remote system.

After completing the setup, I run the following command from the central
Nagios server as a test and encountered the error as shown below;

nagios at central-host:~> /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_by_ssh -H x.x.x.x -C
"/export/home/nagios/plugins/check_swap -w 50% -c 10%"

Remote command execution failed: ###################### !!! WARNING !!!
#############################

where;

   - x.x.x.x - the IP of the remote host.
   - /export/home/nagios/plugins - the location on the remote host where the
   plugins are run from

I also run the same command using the host name of the remote host but that
gave me the same error. The web GUI also shows the same error.

Can someone please point me in the right direction towards solving this
issue?

Thanks,
Juki