Why are there "commands"?

劉岳泓 yuehung at cht.com.tw
Wed Sep 2 03:29:07 CEST 2009

If you code relevant checking command in each service, Nagios should
register every single command in system memory.
But by using command "templates", Nagios needs only register command
definitions "once" and parameters for each service,
this is more memory efficient.

David Dyer-Bennet 提到:
> I don't really understand the purpose / utility of the "command" level of
> abstraction in Nagios configuration.  (2.10; we're still on Centos 4.7).
>
> To define a new service to check particular Windows web services we've
> written, I define a service, and then it has to refer to a command, and
> over in the command I have to hard-code the parameters needed to test this
> specific service -- so in fact I need a separate command for each service.
>  This seems, to me, to just introduce confusion, and separate bits of
> information that belong together.
>
> Is this just a historical artifact that in fact doesn't make much sense,
> or are there lots of cases where it's useful and makes it easier or
> clearer to do what you want?
>
> (I'm fine with "that's the way it works, but it doesn't really make much
> sense as it turns out", I've got plenty of that in my own code; I'm just
> looking for more understanding, in case it makes more sense than I've so
> far figured out.)
>
> As a broader question, are there documents that give more of a logical
> overview of Nagios, explaining how and why things are broken up and how
> they work together?

劉岳泓 Liu,Yueh-Hung
零九三七零四四零七六 0937044076
歪優依耶取優恩機[小老鼠]希耶取梯[點]希歐耶姆[點]梯搭伯優 yuehung at cht.com.tw
SCSA + ITIL Foundation + ISO 27001 Auditor