Email service notifications not working

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Tue Sep 1 19:25:22 CEST 2009

Or SOME of them.  I did get ONE email service notification -- when I
"acknowledged" a problem, I got a notification of that.  But I got no
notification of the change to critical status, and no notification of the
return to normal.

Service notification options are w,u,c,r.  service notification period is
24x7.  Service notification command is notify-by-email.  Nagios 2.10 on
Centos 4.8.  I believe sendmail is configured adequately, because I can
send a test email by hand, and because I've received that one service
notification.  Host notifications have generally worked on this install,
though I haven't tested one lately.

The web display is showing the service going into state critical, and it
shows notifications enabled for that service.  It shows "last service
notification" as N/A, making me think that the problem is that Nagios
isn't sending the notification, rather than any sort of delivery issue
(and I've tested email from the monitoring host, works fine).

This is a small setup, 13 hosts and 28 services, on a system with no load
problems, so I'm not worried about performance issues being the cause.
Everything is active tests form the monitoring system.

How related are host and service notification? Should I test host
notification at this point, or should I go ahead and work on service
notification on its own?

How do I approach this debugging problem?  I'm assuming my config is at
fault of course; but I'm running out of places to look.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info