Nagios3 distributed monitoring question

Jonathan Bayles jbayles at readytechs.com
Fri Oct 30 16:25:30 CET 2009

Hello all,

I am looking for a couple of generic configuration files to help me finish a proof-of-concept Nagios3 setup.

This is a vanilla distributed Nagios setup, where there is a master server and a remote server, the remote server will do active checks against servers that the master cannot see, and I want to display the results on the master.

I have been following a few examples in the nagios3 book I purchased as well as online directions I found. Its my intention to set active checks on the remote, NCSA client on the remote to pass the data to an NCSA daemon on the master and then use a “remote-service” service class to catch the data and present it.

I think I am missing some basic things in my understanding but I am positive that some config file examples would clear things up tremendously. If anyone wouldn’t mind sharing I would be very grateful and problem get through this much more quickly.