Configuring Serce Dependencies in Nagios 3.1.2

Mirza Dedic mirde at oppy.com
Tue Oct 27 18:01:13 CET 2009

Hello,

I have a Nagios setup and I am monitoring LAN/WAN servers/services including network devices, smb shares, squid service status, server pings, and our frame relay.

Now if my frame relay goes down between the two offices, obviously my Nagios will not be able to check the server and smb/squid services, now I get a warning message that it cannot reach the smb/squid/server/network, I want to just get a warning that it cannot reach the network and the rest suppressed.

I understand this can be done using service dependency, but I have also read that the way Nagios checks stuff is a little wacky, as in:

What if it checks the ping of a server before the network? It will report the ping is critical, then once the network is queued to be checked, it will report the network is down?

Which would kind of defeat the logic of a dependency check, anyone have any feedback as if this is still the case?

I remember reading it on the forum, which is why I did not go through with it when I initially configured it all.

But I am also trying to avoid 20 emails for 1 host that is down.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks!