5 Nagios General Questions

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Fri Oct 23 17:46:22 CEST 2009

On Oct 23, 2009, at 10:04 AM, Goutos, Kevin wrote:

> Thanks for the reply!
>

> 1)  Thank you for this information, however I'm still confused.  I
> did a
> ps -A and confirmed that mutliple instances were running, so I
> followed
> your steps, did a kill- 9 PID and restarted nagios.

how did you restart it? Did you use the init script?

>  I then removed a
> host in my hosts.cfg file, did a /etc/rc.d/init.d/nagios reload and
> the
> changes were Not made.  I still saw that host in my Nagios web
> interface.

Did you see the reload event in nagios.log? If not, the reload didn't
happen. If you did see the reload event but still see the host in the
web interface you either didn't remove it from a file that nagios is
reading or you still have multiple nagios daemons running.

> I even tried a stop | reload, but with the same results.
> Finally, I stopped Nagios, and did the /usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios -d
> /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg and saw that the configs were
> updated,
> and the hosts were removed.  If you could clarify this I would
> appreciate it.

I can't explain it as it doesn't really make sense. If you reload
nagios and you don't see the changes in the GUI, either the reload
didn't happen for some unknown reason, you didn't make the change in a
file that nagios is reading or you still have multiple nagios
processes running.

Do you use pre-caching? That's a feature that I don't have experience
with but may explain your symptoms. http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/faststartup.html

--
Marc