1st post, so naturally the 1st question by the nagios newb re: socket error

lance raymond lance.raymond at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 03:32:31 CEST 2009

Hi all, well I am running GroundWork open source and really happy with the
layout, etc. and now comes the nagios things.  My goal is to setup things
neatly, organized and learn as I go rather than asking stupid q's along the
way.  So with that, the 1st task;

I have 8 webservers all host numerous sites, a few host only select.  So I
have created some hostgroups, adding the servers that belong to each, and
wonderfully it works.  I can select a server, see the group, click the
group, see the servers (did I mention I'm good)  :)

Anyway, I want to setup 2 seperate checks one for each website, then
associate them with the groups, so for example;
ws1 (site1, site2)
ws2 (site1)
ws3 (site1, site2)
ws4 (site2)

Pretty simple.  So I copied the check_http command where I saw it used and
have the following;

command[check_http]=/usr/local/groundwork/nagios/libexec/check_http -H
$HOSTADDRESS$ -I $HOSTADDRESS$
command[check_s1]=/usr/local/groundwork/nagios/libexec/check_http -H
www.site1.com -I $HOSTADDRESS$
command[check_s2]=/usr/local/groundwork/nagios/libexec/check_http -H
www.site2.com -I $HOSTADDRESS$

The services.cfg has the following (will only show 1 for space)

define service {
        service_description      check_s1
        use                            generic-service
        hostgroup_name         s1_WebServers
        check_command        check_s1!3!5
}

Now after the above setup and a restart, I have happy to see the check_s1
listed but it's showing critical with the following error;
CRITICAL - Socket timeout after 10 seconds

At the command line check it does work;
 ./check_http -H www.site1.com -I 192.168.50.101
HTTP OK HTTP/1.1 200 OK - 14398 bytes in 0.090 seconds
|time=0.089949s;;;0.000000 size=14398B;;;0

I am looking through where people are increasing the timeout, but the
response time is not even a second, so there must be something else I am
missing.  So I am looking forward to learning more, welcome any ideas,
suggestions, or anything else I should know about using nagios under
groundwork.

This is running under ubuntu-8.10 server, Program Version:3.0.6, let me know
what else I can or need to provide on this.