nagios3 problem in debian lenny

J. Bakshi joydeep at infoservices.in
Fri Oct 16 13:45:02 CEST 2009

Joseph Lundback wrote:
>> Dear all ,
>>
>> I have the second opportunity to configure nagios3 in a debian lenny
>> server.  I did  the configuration 2 yr ago on a clark-connect server.
>> To get a vary basic working nagios I simply followed the default
>> settings. I have installed nagios; created htpasswd file and then
>> started nagios3. ( NO error from "nagios3 -v nagios.cfg ). But after
>> successfully authentication ( by htpassd file ) nagios reports
>>
>> ``````````````````````````````
>> *Error: Could not read object configuration data!
>> `````````````````````````````````
>>
>> Though the basic localhost cfg file is already there at
>> /etc/nagios3/conf.d/   and it is already included at nagios.cfg  as
>>
>> cfg_dir=/etc/nagios3/conf.d
>>
>> Any clue please ?
>> *
>>

> I'm no Nagios guru, just a novice nagios user.
> But I've gotten that error message when I've had permission issues.
>

> /Joseph

Hello Joseph,

Thanks for your response.  Your assumption is correct. I have configured
apache here to run as wwwrun:www which is different from the debian
default settings www-data:www-data.  I have purged nagios3 and install
it again and catched the information as below

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
chown: invalid group: `nagios:www-data'
dpkg: error processing nagios3-common (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of nagios3:
 nagios3 depends on nagios3-common (= 3.0.6-4~lenny2); however:
  Package nagios3-common is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing nagios3 (--configure):
 nagios3-common
 nagios3

So nagios-common is not configured properly and the permission problem
is there. Any idea to cope with this issue ?

Thanks