host shows down but it is not [check_icmp]

Joe Konecny jkonecny at rmtohio.com
Wed Oct 14 21:59:52 CEST 2009

On 10/14/2009 3:36 PM, Marc Powell wrote:

> After taking a peek at the code, I do believe that it really sent out
> 5 ICMP_ECHO requests and only received the first one back. You should
> be able to verify this with wireshark.

Yes that is what wireshark seemed to prove on one of my earlier posts.

> Is this something that is happening for all hosts or just this one
> host? Is there a firewall between the hosts (even running locally on
> either). Is there anything special about the target host? Anything
> that would rate limit ICMP_ECHO requests or responses?

Yes there is a firewall but I'm not sure about what it is doing to
rate limit icmp requests.  I do know that any host outside of my
local network fails in the same way.

> We're getting into a grey area where my knowledge of the program isn't
> detailed enough to say why /bin/ping works and check_icmp doesn't. I
> believe that the requests are formatted differently but I don't know
> enough to say how or for sure. If there's nothing interesting about
> the hosts in question, it would probably be appropriate to take to the
> plugins list...

Ok... thanks for your help.  At least it works now with -n 1.