Query regarding Nagios notification

Satish Kumar P satishkumarp2k1 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 15:18:23 CEST 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 5:56 PM, Marc Powell <marc at ena.com> wrote:

> On Oct 14, 2009, at 12:43 AM, Satish Kumar P wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We have a Nagios server that monitors around 300 production servers
>> and around 2000+ services on all these servers. Recently, when the
>> STATE of one of the services on a particular host turned HARD, but
>> Nagios didn't NOTIFY. So I am just trying to understand why it didn't
>> notify. Here's more information regarding the configuration:
>>
>> define service {
>>        service_description     MAILQ_1K_2K
>>        host_name               server-name
>>        use                     generic-service
>>        check_command           check_mailq_snmp!1000!2000
>>        contact_groups          cg_server-name
>> }
>
>> Following are the few relevant options defined under "generic-
>> service":
>>
>>    check_period                    24x7
>>    normal_check_interval           5
>>    retry_check_interval            2
>>    max_check_attempts              5
>>    notification_period             24x7
>
> No notification_options or contact_groups. What are they? Check objects.cache.

OK, here are the complete contents of the service definition and
service template:

 define service {
        service_description     MAILQ_1K_2K
        host_name               server-name
        use                     generic-service
        check_command           check_mailq_snmp!1000!2000
        contact_groups          cg_server-name
 }

define service{
    name                            generic-service ; The 'name' of
this service template
    active_checks_enabled           1       ; Active service checks are enabled
    passive_checks_enabled          1       ; Passive service checks
are enabled/accepted
    parallelize_check               1       ; Active service checks
should be parallelized (disabling this can lead to major performance
problems)
    obsess_over_service             1       ; We should obsess over
this service (if necessary)
    check_freshness                 0       ; Default is to NOT check
service 'freshness'
    notifications_enabled           1       ; Service notifications are enabled
    event_handler_enabled           1       ; Service event handler is enabled
    flap_detection_enabled          1       ; Flap detection is enabled
    failure_prediction_enabled      1       ; Failure prediction is enabled
    process_perf_data               1       ; Process performance data
    retain_status_information       1       ; Retain status
information across program restarts
    retain_nonstatus_information    1       ; Retain non-status
information across program restarts
    notification_interval           0       ; Only send notifications
on status change by default.
    is_volatile                     0
    check_period                    24x7
    normal_check_interval           5
    retry_check_interval            2
    max_check_attempts              5
    notification_period             24x7
    notification_options            w,c,r
    contact_groups                  nobody
    register                        0       ; DONT REGISTER THIS
DEFINITION - ITS NOT A REAL SERVICE, JUST A TEMPLATE!
}

>> More info: Looking at Nagios documentation, I understand that Nagios
>> does "on demand host checks" when a service changes STATE. So I
>> guessed, Nagios might have performed HOST CHECK when it actually
>> turned HARD (and simultaneously from WARNING to CRITICAL).
>
> Yes, nagios will run a host check and if it returns non-OK, notifications for the service will be suppressed. What do you see in
> nagios.log related to the host?

This host was UP.

>> Thoughts??
>
> Do you get notifications at all, for anything? Verify that you haven't disabled notifications program wide (in nagios.cfg or via the web
> interface) or for this specific service (via the web interface). I tend to look in status.dat for that information but it can be found in
> the GUI under Program Info and the specific service.

Notifications are not disabled at Nagios level (nagios.cfg). Nagios is
working properly for all other hosts and services, except this strange
issue I mentioned.
I verified the service status from the GUI, notifications are NOT
disabled for this service and for the host also.

> --
> Marc

Kindly do let me know if you need more info. Thanks for the help.