Tweaking Nagios Performance (Checks/Notifications)

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Oct 7 06:20:20 CEST 2009

On Oct 6, 2009, at 4:57 PM, Mirza Dedic wrote:

> I recently finished moving Nagios from a Virtual machine to bare-
> bone hardware, on a PowerEdge retired machine (dual-core, 4GB ram,
> raid-5 10k RPM HDs). My goal is to have a 1 minute window between
> when a host/service goes down and the time that I receive a message
> that it is down.

If you really want a 1 minute window then that means that you'll
either have to check multiple times per minute (max_check_attempts>1,
interval_length<60) or check only once and trust that as definitive
(max_check_attempts=1, interval_length=60). You'll probably want to re-
visit the plugin timeouts, both in nagios.cfg and any that are
directly supported by the plugins themselves.

If you go with the multiple checks per minute path, you'll need to
change the value of interval_length in nagios.cfg and every other
*_interval, both in nagios.cfg and in your host/service/notification
definitions since they are simply multiples of interval_length.

Be prepared for false-positives unless things are perfect all the
time. I expect you'll see alerts for non service affecting things such
as slower ssh logins on busy machines or high RTA or maybe some packet
loss as routers get busy and de-prioritize ICMP traffic. The more
frequently you check, the more likely you are to encounter those types
of things.

--
Marc