capturing $LONGSERVICEOUPUT$ from custom plugins

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Mon Oct 5 17:33:25 CEST 2009

On Oct 5, 2009, at 10:01 AM, Noel Platzke wrote:

> I have a custom plugin that prints a small bit of data when it exits
> but for some reason it's not being captured by nagios.

Captured where? I.E. where/how are you looking for it?

> I read that there's a 4k byte limit but the data I'm printing is
> very very small, only a few lines so I shouldn't be hitting that
> limit. I altered the script to write the data to an external file
> and it works fine. Nagios just isn't capturing it for some reason.
> Is there some specific format the data needs to be in for it to be
> picked up? Any ideas?

There's no special format except for plain-text only and only output
to STDOUT is captured (a normal echo or print). $SERVICEOUTPUT$ will
contain the first line of text and $LONGSERVICEOUTPUT$ will contain
anything after the first newline character.

--
Marc