nsclient++ and nrpe commands

Natxo Asenjo natxo.asenjo at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 16:21:01 CEST 2009

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 4:58 PM, Marco Borsani <m.borsani at it.net> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I use nsclient++ with standard commands via check_nt, all is ok.
>
> Now I need to run some commands/plug-in (like checl_openmanage.exe), but I
> don't find the correct sintax.
>
> Right now I prepare a command inside NSC.ini file like these:
> command[nsc_openmanage]=c:\nagios\check_openmanage.exe
> nsc_open=scripts\check_openmanage.exe -v
>
> When I try to call it from nagios server with: ./check_nrpe -H IPADDRESS -c
> nsc_openmanage
> I receive following error: CHECK_NRPE: Socket timeout after 10 seconds.

a socket timeout means it could not connect the nrpe port.

If you try this

nagios at nagios:/usr/local/nagios/libexec$ ./check_nrpe -H winxp01
I (0.3.2.9 2008-05-17) seem to be doing fine...

so without any commands to be run, it just checks whether the nrpe service
is ok.

If you try a not defined command in nsc.ini, like this:
nagios at nagios:/usr/local/nagios/libexec$ ./check_nrpe -H winxp01 -c test
UNKNOWN: No handler for that command

there is no 'test' command defined, so it gives me an UNKNOWN.

in your nsc.ini check that the NRPEListener.dll is enabled, the [NRPE]
section should look (at least) like this;

[NRPE]

port=5666

command_timeout=60

allow_arguments=1

socket_timeout=30

and your [NRPE Handlers] section should contain your allowed checks (here
only services and disks):

nrpe_CheckService=inject checkServiceState CheckAll exclude=SysmonLog

nrpe_CheckDriveSize=inject CheckDriveSize MinWarn=10% MinCrit=5% CheckAll
FilterType=FIXED FilterType=REMOTE

your nagios server must be allowed to query the nrpe server (check firewall
and allowed_hosts settings in nsc.ini)

> NSClient++ works correctly with :
> check_nt -H IPADDRESS -v xxxxxxxx
> check_nrpe -H IPADDRESS -c CheckCPU -a warn=80 crit=90 time=20m time=10s
> time=4
>
> My versions are:
> Nsclient++ = 0.2.7 2007-03-06
> Check_nrpe = 2.7.1
>
> May you show me any NSC.ini files ?

your nsclient++ is quite old, you should try a newer one. For quesions about
nsclient++ the proper forum is the one at nsclient.org