Multiple interfaces on on host (single representation)

Marc-André Doll mad at b-care.net
Fri Oct 2 14:45:01 CEST 2009

Le vendredi 02 octobre 2009 à 12:16 +0200, Nick Jennings a écrit :
> Hi Everyone,
>
>   I'm setting up Nagios on a new server group, these servers all have 1
> public IP and one private (internal network) IP. For the basic "up/down"
> checks I'd like to ping the public IP, check for the services which is
> provides, etc. all on the public IP.
>
>   However for any NRPE stuff, I'd like to bind it to the internal IP
> address and run all the checks on the local network. The problem is I
> don't know how to keep from specifying 2 host definitions for each
> server (ie. an external definition and internal definition).

One solution may be using some custom macros. For example, set the host
address to your internal IP and define a custom macro for each host (say
_external_address) and instead of passing the $HOSTADDRESS$ macro to
your check_commands just pass the $_HOST_EXTERNAL_ADDRESS$ one.

This is just a guess. May be users more experimented than me may
confirm.