Using Nagios to Scan a Network for Rogue AP's

Breandan Dezendorf breandan at dezendorf.com
Thu Oct 1 00:00:08 CEST 2009

On Sep 30, 2009, at 11:28 AM, Hari Sekhon wrote:

>> Yes - strangely enough, Marc Powell and I both suggested this same
>> plugin/site just yesterday on another thread:
>>
>> http://ubermonkey.wordpress.com/2006/09/28/nagios-nmap-plugin/
>>
> Isn't that for port scanning a given host to detect port changes
> rather
> than being able to detect entire rogue wifi access points which from
> my
> exploration of this a year or two ago actually requires wifi sensors
> and
> equipment at both ends, which is what the (very good) proprietary
> solutions do.
>
> I found that it was mainly the cost that was the biggest inhibitor
> with
> those systems and management may well take the stance that they simply
> don't want to spend that much to close this potential hole.

You may want to look at setting up NetDisco <http://netdisco.org/>.
It can do device discovery, and it may be able to help you.  I've not
looked at it in a few years though.  I do have some code laying around
to pull all the devices from NetDisco's database and stick them into a
Nagios configuration file.  If you want it, I'm happy to share.  Auto
monitoring of network devices always makes me happy.

--
Breandan Dezendorf
breandan at dezendorf.com
bwdezend at gmail.com