nagios3 only doing one check attempt

john lists at cloned.org.uk
Mon Nov 30 18:16:07 CET 2009

I've moved my config from an old nagios2 installation to nagios 3.0.6
(debian's version) and when performing checks, it only seems to do one
service check attempt so never seems to alert.

I've got various things in an unknown and critical state but they are all
listed as Attempt 1 of 3 even if I force an active check to occur. My
intervals for checking haven't changed since nagios2

Here's the host and service that isn't alerting (ip removed):

define host{
     host_name                           moocow
     alias                               moocow
     address                             x.x.x.x
     parents                             switch1
     hostgroups                          servers
     check_command                       check-host-alive
     max_check_attempts                  3
     check_period                        24x7
     check_interval                      1800
     retain_nonstatus_information        1
     contact_groups                      notify.john
     notification_interval               1800
     notification_period                 24x7
     notification_options                d,u,r
}

# PING

define service{
     host_name                           moocow
     service_description                 PING
     servicegroups                       servers
     max_check_attempts                  3
     normal_check_interval               300
     retry_check_interval                120
     check_period                        24x7
     contact_groups                      notify.john
     notification_interval               7200
     notification_period                 24x7
     notification_options                w,u,c,r
     check_command                       check_ping!75.0,20%!150.0,60%
}

Can anyone suggest why this wouldn't alert me?

The config test only throws some warnings about "notification interval
less than its check interval" but not for any services that are having
this problem

Cheers,

john