monitoring hundreds of network switches

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Fri Nov 27 22:57:10 CET 2009

On Nov 27, 2009, at 3:10 PM, Flyinvap wrote:

> Le Fri, 27 Nov 2009 14:28:34 -0600,
> Marc Powell <marc at ena.com> a écrit :
>

>> Next, you'll need to create a host{} definition for each of your
>> switches. Your script-fu powers should come in handy here (i.e. a
>
> I agree. Use scripts to create config files are finally the best way.
> Keep your scripts, you can use their to modify configs in the future.

++ I've have scripts that automate the monitoring of 99% of our devices that I wrote about 9 years ago that have only needed changes as config file changes occurred. Our staff just needs to input some basic data about new or changed devices into a DB (via web) and it all Just Works. My Nagios time is almost entirely limited to figuring out why things are down. =)

> I like to use template.

Of course we make extensive use of templates as well... I didn't want to add that complexity to an already long e-mail ;)

--
Marc