Controlling contacts/contactgroups with hostgroups/servicegroups

Mark Keller keller.mark at con-way.com
Mon Nov 23 22:22:05 CET 2009

On Monday 23 November 2009 08:31:55 am Guy Waugh wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 2:31 PM, Terry
>  <td3201 at gmail.com<mailto:td3201 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

> Thanks Terry, interesting idea, and I got most of the way through setting
>  up a test configuration before I realised that it's not quite the right
>  solution for me. I'd like to be able to specify particular services on
>  particular hosts, and to use service escalations to do that, I'd have to
>  set up a service escalation for each 'critical' service for each host. If
>  I could specify a servicegroup instead of a hostgroup in a service
>  escalation definition, it would be perfect, as I could set up a 'critical'
>  servicegroup that included all the 'critical' services and set up a single
>  service escalation :)
>
> Regards,
> Guy.

You may not be able to use servicegroups, but you can get the same effect. You
can use a list of services for the service_description so you don't need one
escalation per service. We do something similar for many of our application
teams. This basically gives you you the same  power as a servicegroup.

define serviceescalation{
        hostgroup_name          dba-notify-servers
        service_description       Disk,Swap,SSH
        first_notification        1
        last_notification         0
        notification_interval     30
        contact_groups            +dba-team
        escalation_options        r,w,c
        }

So you can still setup a critical hostgroup, then list the services in the
escalation. The previous example basically mirrors any notifications to the
DBA's that our *NIX admins get, but only on hosts in the dba-notify-servers
group.

Mark