nagios showing warning of system time change

ankush grover grover1711 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 15:51:39 CET 2009

Hi friends,

I am running Nagios 2.7-1 on Centos 5.0 32-bit. I have installed
Nagios through rpm.  The issue I am seeing on the server is sometimes
nagios is showing the below messages in /var/log/messages and as the
system time gets changed some false alarms gets generated. I searched
it on the google but I am not able to find the correct solution.

Ntp server is already set and servers are listed in ntp.conf file

Nov 21 20:37:12 linuxmonitoring nagios: Warning: A system time change
of 4398 seconds (forwards in time) has been detected.  Compensating...
Nov 21 19:23:54 linuxmonitoring nagios: Warning: A system time change
of 4398 seconds (backwards in time) has been detected.  Compensating..

ntp.conf file

restrict default ignore
restrict 127.0.0.1
driftfile /var/lib/ntp/drift
broadcastdelay 0.008
#authenticate yes
keys /etc/ntp/keys
restrict 172.16.6.3 nomodify notrap noquery
server 172.16.6.3
restrict 172.16.6.2 nomodify notrap noquery
server 172.16.6.2

Please see the output of hwclock and date at the same time.
hwclock
Sat 21 Nov 2009 08:19:02 PM IST  -0.496922 seconds

date
Sat Nov 21 20:19:55 IST 2009

Please advice what I need to do to fix this error.

Regards

Ankush