Log file monitoring with NSCA

Kumar, Ashish xml.devel at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 07:37:13 CET 2009

Hello list,

We are testing log monitoring with NSCA and Nagios 3.0.6 on RHEL 5.  The
NSCA is setup properly and functioning.  Our script is executing every
minute to check for any critical and warning messages in log files and sends
them one by one to NSCA server.

We executed following test cases:
#1 100 messages with same contents but different severity (crit and warn)
Result: OK, we get 100 e-mails

#2 100 messages with different contents and different severity
Result: OK, we get 100 e-mails

#3 100 messages with different contents but same severity (crit or warn)
Result: FAILED, we receive only 1 e-mail generated by first alert.  We have
verified this in "View History For This Service"

I was just wondering if there is a way to not suppress notifications
regardless of message contents and severity?  So we get an alert every time
NSCA sends something interesting.

I appreciate your time.

Thanks.