check_nt MEMUSE

Thomas Guyot-Sionnest dermoth at aei.ca
Thu Nov 19 14:37:04 CET 2009

On 19/11/09 08:18 AM, Richard Gliebe wrote:
> On 11/18/09 12:11 PM Thomas Guyot-Sionnest wrote:
>> I'm not sure about using check_nt; I beliebe the recommended bethog for
>> NSClient++ is using check_nrpe (you will have to make sure the NEPE
>> listener module is enabled and properly configured)
>>
>> Here are example of memory checks you can do with check_nrpe:
>>
>> Physical memory:
>> CheckMem ShowAll=long MaxWarn=$ARG1$ MaxCrit=$ARG2$ type=physical
>>
>> Page file:
>> CheckMem ShowAll=long MaxWarn=$ARG1$ MaxCrit=$ARG2$ type=virtual
>>
>> All memort (RAM+SWAP):
>> CheckMem ShowAll=long MaxWarn=$ARG1$ MaxCrit=$ARG2$ type=paged
>>

>> You can set them as aliases ($ARGx$ are nrpe arguments) or even call
>> CheckMem as the NRPE command and the rest of the line are the nrpe
>> arguments (-a).
>
> Hi Thomas,
>
> OK, I've tried to use check_nrpe, but I can't connect to the Windows Client
>
> # ./check_nrpe -H <WindowsClient> -p 5666 -c alias_up
> CHECK_NRPE: Error receiving data from host.
>
> When I return to check_nt, I can connect to the Windows Client.
>
> # ./check_nt -H <WindowsClient> -p 5666 -v MEMUSE
> Memory usage: total:2469.98 Mb - used: 201.26 Mb (8%) - free: 2268.72 Mb
> (92%) | 'Memory usage'=201.26Mb;0.00;0.00;0.00;2469.98
>
> the Client Logfile shows me:
>
> [...]
> 2009-11-19 07:43:04: error:D:\source\NSCP-stable\include\Socket.h:699:
> Error: Could not complete SSL handshake : [-1] 1, attempting to resume...
> [...]
>
> Whats going on? ;-)

This seems to be because your NRPE don't have ssl enabled. Look at the
- --help output of check_nrpe, you should see:

SSL/TLS Available: Anonymous DH Mode, OpenSSL 0.9.6 or higher required

> Here is my NSC.ini
>
> [...]
>
> [NRPE]
> ;# NRPE PORT NUMBER
> ;  This is the port the NRPEListener.dll will listen to.
> port=5666
> ;
> ;# COMMAND TIMEOUT
> ;  This specifies the maximum number of seconds that the NRPE daemon
> will allow plug-ins to finish executing before killing them off.
> ;command_timeout=60
> ;
> ;# COMMAND ARGUMENT PROCESSING
> ;  This option determines whether or not the NRPE daemon will allow
> clients to specify arguments to commands that are executed.
> ;allow_arguments=0
> ;
> ;# COMMAND ALLOW NASTY META CHARS
> ;  This option determines whether or not the NRPE daemon will allow
> clients to specify nasty (as in |`&><'"\[]{}) characters in arguments.
> ;allow_nasty_meta_chars=0
> ;
> ;# USE SSL SOCKET
> ;  This option controls if SSL should be used on the socket.
> use_ssl=1

Atlernatively turn this to 0 and use the -n switch in check_nrpe (so if
you upgrade you won't break your checks by enabling SSL)

> ;# BIND TO ADDRESS
> ;  Allows you to bind server to a specific local address. This has to be
> a dotted ip adress not a hostname.
> ;  Leaving this blank will bind to all avalible IP adresses.
> ; bind_to_address=
> ;
> ;# ALLOWED HOST ADDRESSES
> ;  This is a comma-delimited list of IP address of hosts that are
> allowed to talk to NRPE deamon.
> ;  If you leave this blank the global version will be used instead.
> allowed_hosts=<removed>

Make sure tis parameter list the IP/network from your monitoring server
(be extra careful if your monitoring server has multiple VLANs / servers)

- --
Thomas