Occasional unknown status messages from a particular server

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Tue Nov 17 19:45:58 CET 2009

On Nov 17, 2009, at 12:14 PM, Kaplan, Andrew H. wrote:

> Hi there --
>
> We are running Nagios 3.1.2, and one of our monitored servers, running NRPE client 2.0, is occasionally
> sending back unknown status messages to the server. An example of this is shown below:
>

> UNKNOWN  11-17-2009 13:10:15     0d 0h 1m 54s    2/3
> CHECK_NRPE: Received 0 bytes from daemon. Check the remote server logs for error messages.
>
> UNKNOWN  11-17-2009 13:10:15     0d 0h 1m 54s    2/3     NRPE: Call to fork() failed

I'm not familiar with HP-UX but this is indicating that the NRPE daemon on the remote host is unable to create a new process to run the check. Do you have restrictions on that host to prevent that? limits on memory use, max number of process, etc?

Have you tried putting NRPE into debug mode? You might get more information but it sounds like the OS is preventing the creation of the child process.

--
Marc