Installing Nagios Server on a Virtual Machine

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Fri Nov 13 02:31:56 CET 2009

I would be very very wary of running Nagios on a VM (we use VMware here).  The reason for this is Clock Skew.

Clock Skew causes the virtual clock on the guest OS to lag behind then skip forward depending on the loading and sleep times of the guest.  Note that this will not affect 'Para-virtualised' guests as they share the hardware clock, but these are only possible in some Xen guests at the moment AFAIK and are not common.  VMWare can't do them.

On a lightly loaded physical machine your clock skew will be negligible but as load goes up you can get the guest clock lagging as much as 10sec or even more.  This can screw up latencies, scheduling, rate calculations (such as CPU use and net use) and so on.  In addition any monitoring of virtualised resource (CPU, Memory) will be completely wrong unless you obtain the values from a source which is aware of the virtualiasation (eg VMWare tools API or VirtualCentre API for vmware)

Clock skew and virtualised resource monitoring has caused too many problems in our tests and we now only use physical servers for Nagios (and MRTG).

I have a Nagios plugin check_vmware at www.steveshipway.org/forum<http://www.steveshipway.org/forum> for monitoring VMware virtualised resources via the API to get meaningful values - previous used check_esx3 but this has been superceeded by the use of the VC API in check_vmware

Steve