Problems checking external host

Morris, Patrick patrick.morris at hp.com
Wed Nov 11 18:30:04 CET 2009

ReynierPM wrote:
> Hi every:
> I'm trying to check a external server using check_by_ssh command but I'm
> getting this errors:
> 1. Remote command execution failed: Host key verification failed.
> 2. (Return code of 127 is out of bounds - plugin may be missing)
>
> [snip]
>
> Why it fails?
> Cheers and thanks in advance

check_by_ssh does host key checking, and if one does not exist or it
does not match what's in Nagios's known_hosts file, it will fail.

The easy fix would be to SSH from the Nagios box to each of those hosts
manually as the Nagios user, using the exact same address Nagios will
use when checking, and let it save the host key.