Nagios to monitor job progress?

Todd Mcneill todd.mcneill at pmigroup.com
Mon Nov 9 22:17:03 CET 2009

Hi-

I have a batch process that runs on a Windows box that I'd like to
monitor through Nagios.  Currently, the job writes all status output to
a log file, and this log file is parsed by another monitoring agent
(NetIQ) in order to alert when problems occur.  This job only runs once
a month, and is not scheduled on the Windows server, but triggered by
another process running on an iSeries box, so we have no idea when the
job will start.   In order to gain awareness of job progress, NetIQ is
also sending non-error alerts when the job starts and completes, as well
as alerts when certain phases of the job complete, also based upon the
job log output.

NetIQ is completely unreliable, and we're getting these alerts hours
after the events occur.  I currently have Nagios running in our
enterprise monitoring Unix and database services, but nothing running
for Windows.  I can probably use Splunk to perform the log parsing and
alerting, but that means adding another alert source into the mix, which
can get confusing.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can do this through Nagios?
Is there a way to configure a Nagios service check to send out an alert
for a non-error condition (i.e. no state change, just a status update
change)?

Thanks,
Todd