Help for install nagios on fedora 11

Morris, Patrick patrick.morris at hp.com
Mon Nov 9 20:40:24 CET 2009

On Mon, 09 Nov 2009, SODATONOU Dodji  Comlan Samuel wrote:

> On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 10:11:39 -0800, Morris, Patrick wrote
> > SODATONOU Dodji Comlan Samuel wrote:
> > > On the basis of nagios quickstart guide, i install without error nagios-3.2 and
> nagios-
> > > pluggins-1.4.11 on a linux box server runnning fedora 11.
> > >
> > > But when i vérify the sample nagios configuration files via the following command
> > >
> > > /usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios -v /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg
> > >

> > > I get this error :
> > >
> > > /usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios : error while loading the shared libraries:
> libltdl.so.3:
> > > cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.
> > >
> > > Any help to resolve this problem will be greatly appreciated.
> > >

> > > NB: on the linux server, we have installed libtool-ltldl-2.2.6 which provide
> > > libltld.so.7.
> >
> > If that's the standard version of libltdl for Fedora 11, It sounds like
> > the copy of Nagios you've got wasn't built to run on that distribution.
>
> I get this error when i install the nagios version 3.2 ( last stable release of
> nagios) but the same error was also reproduced when i install the old version 3.0.3 of
> nagios

How are you installing it? From source, RPM or other?

If you're building it yourself and it's linking against a library that
it can't find at runtime, that would indicate a problem with the
machine's environment.

If you're installing from RPM and it's linked against a library that's
not provided by  distribution, either the RPM is broken or you're
installing a version that was not build for Fedora 11.

If it's built for Fedora 11 and expecting to see libltdl.so.3 but you
don't have it, either you haven't installed the correct packages on that
machine or, again, your environment might not be correct.

It's going to take a bit more information to troubleshoot this. There
are still too many unkown variables.