Parameter defined in template and also in host. Which one is it going to be?

Taylor Dondich tdondich at lilacnetworks.com
Fri Nov 6 19:24:22 CET 2009

Jelle Smet wrote:
> Hi
>
> If I have following example what determines which check_period "bogus-router" will have?
> - Is it determined by the order Nagios reads the configs?
>   If this is the case, it can be manipulated by ordering different config files?
> - Or does a parameter in a host, override the same parameter in a template?
>
> Cheers,
>

> define host{
>         host_name                       canaries
>         check_period                    16x5
>         }
>
> define host{
> 	use			        canaries
> 	host_name			bogus-router
> 	alias				Bogus Router #1
> 	address				192.168.1.254
> 	parents				server-backbone
> 	check_command			check-host-alive
> 	check_interval			5
> 	retry_interval			1
> 	max_check_attempts		5
> 	check_period			24x7
> 	process_perf_data		0
> 	retain_nonstatus_information	0
> 	contact_groups			router-admins
> 	notification_interval		30
> 	notification_period		24x7
> 	notification_options		d,u,r
> 	}

Hi there.  Nagios will take the variable defined in the host definition,
as it will overwrite the variable defined in the template.  It gets
tricky when you have multiple levels of inheritance, and there's
multiple templates to inherit from.  This is all described in the Nagios
documentation at:
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/objectinheritance.html

--
Taylor Dondich (tdondich at gmail.com)