check snmp with diferent community not work

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Nov 5 22:03:07 CET 2009

On Nov 5, 2009, at 12:32 PM, Ricardo Delgado wrote:

> Hi all, when configure 2 o more UPS with the same community it's
> work's fine, but when i add UPS with other community, it's not work.
> any ideas?

> define service{
>      use                             generic-service
>      hostgroup_name                  ups

This service is applied to every host in the 'ups' hostgroup. All
hosts in this group use the same check_snmp command definition and
must share the same snmp community based on your definitions below
(comun1).

>      service_description             SYSTEM UP
>      is_volatile                     0
>      check_period                    24x7
>      max_check_attempts              3
>      normal_check_interval           5
>      retry_check_interval            1
>      contact_groups                  admins
>      notification_interval           0
>      notification_period             24x7
>      notification_options            c,r
>      check_command                   check_snmp!.1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3.0
> }

>      check_command                   check_snmp!.1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3.0

This service uses the check_snmp command definition.

> define command{
>      command_name            check_snmp
>
>      command_line            /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_snmp -C
> comun1 -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -o $ARG1$
> }

Your check_snmp command definition above has a hard-coded community if
'comun1'. With this configuration, this is the only community that
will work with this command definition and hence, the only community
that will work for all hosts in the 'ups' hostgroup.

> define command{
> #       command_name            check_snmp
>
>      command_line            /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_snmp -C
> comun1 -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -o $ARG1$
> }

This is a malformed command definition. It has no command_name. I'm
surprised that nagios starts with this configuration (does it really?)

> this is an example to add other host with a diferent community, and
> not work!!
> ##CONFIGURATION UPS3.CFG
>

> define host{
>      use                     generic-host            ; Name of host
>
> template to use
>      host_name               UPS3 EDIF
>      address                 10.14.12.187
>      hostgroups              ups
>      notes_url               http://10.14.12.187
>
> }

Where's the reference to the check_snmp command? The host doesn't
appear to have a check_command at all.

> #aqui especifico el comando por snmp
>

> define command{
> #       command_name            check_snmp
>
>      command_line            /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_snmp -C
> publica -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -o $ARG1$
> }

Again, this is a malformed command definition. It has no command_name.
I'm surprised that nagios starts with this configuration (does it
really?)

You appear to be missing a few fundamental concepts. I recommend
reading the documentation but generally --

	- host and service definitions reference command definition via the
check_command parameter. Nagios looks at the command_line for the
command definition with that command_name to determine what shell
command it should run.
	- all command{} definitions must have unique command_names. I presume
you had problems with nagios complaining about duplicate command names
so you decided to comment out the command_names in those duplicate
definitions. If nagios actually starts like that, it renders them
unusable because you can't reference them.
	- instead of creating unique command definitions for each snmp
community, you can pass it from the host definition just as you're
passing the $ARG1$ parameter from the service definition. This can
simplify your reuse of the same command definition for similar checks.
For example --

define command{
      command_name            check_snmp
      command_line            /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_snmp -C
$_HOSTSNMP_COMMUNITY$ -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -o $ARG1$
}

define service{
      hostgroup_name                  ups
      service_description             SYSTEM UP
      is_volatile                     0
      check_period                    24x7
      max_check_attempts              3
      normal_check_interval           5
      retry_check_interval            1
      contact_groups                  admins
      notification_interval           0
      notification_period             24x7
      notification_options            c,r
      check_command                   check_snmp!.1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3.0
}

define host{
      use                     generic-host            ; Name of host
template to use
      host_name               UPS EDIF
      address                 10.14.12.106
      hostgroups              ups
      notes_url               http://10.14.12.106
     _SNMP_community	comun1
}

define host{
      use                     generic-host            ; Name of host
template to use
      host_name               UPS2 EDIF
      address                 10.14.12.107
      hostgroups              ups