Restarts resetting soft critical states

Frost, Mark {PBG} mark.frost1 at pepsi.com
Tue Nov 3 21:35:22 CET 2009

Thanks, Andreas.  Unfortunately, I'm still puzzled.  The mask values you refer to are already set to the defaults (they're all 0's).  I've never touched those or paid much attention to them until now.

I'm actually confused by 2 aspects of this.  It seems to me that the thing I'm trying to retain across a restart are soft check states (those are what are being reset).  Looking at the MODATTR arguments in include/common.h (3.0.6) I don't see which of those attributes would govern this.  There's the *ENABLED attributes which really aren't changing here (and are retained).  All the other MODATTR's are (it seems to me) not changing in this case either.

The second thing that confuses me here is the verbage used to describe the mask functionality:

        # RETAINED ATTRIBUTE MASKS (ADVANCED FEATURE)
        # The following variables are used to specify specific host and
        # service attributes that should *not* be retained by Nagios during
        # program restarts.

So if MODATTR is set to none, based on the comment doesn't this mean that "NONE" of the attributes are NOT retained?  I.e. all are retained (double-negative)?  The on-line doc for these masks say "By default, all host and service attributes are retained."

I do get masks, I just didn't see how these applied here.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mark