granular notifications

Terry td3201 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 18:06:24 CET 2009

Sorry for the bad subject.  Not sure how to classify this properly.

I have a single contact definition for each contact:

define contact{
        contact_name                    jo at hotmail.com
        alias                           John Doe
        service_notification_period     24x7
        host_notification_period        24x7
        service_notification_options    w,u,c,r
        host_notification_options       d,u,r
        service_notification_commands   notification-wrapper-service
        host_notification_commands      notification-wrapper-host
        email                           jo at hotmail.com
        pager                           1231231234 at vtext.com
        can_submit_commands             1
        }

This works pretty well.  The command sorts out whether to page or to
email, however, in the event I want to disable pages only for this
contact, I can't figure out how to do it without separate contacts
like this:

define contact{
        contact_name                   jdoe-email
        alias                           jdoe-email
        service_notification_period     24x7
        host_notification_period        24x7
        service_notification_options    w,u,c,r
        host_notification_options       d,u,r
        service_notification_commands   notify-by-email
        host_notification_commands      host-notify-by-email
        email                           jo at hotmail.com
        }

define contact{
        contact_name                    jdoe-epager
        alias                           jdoe-epager
        service_notification_period     none
        host_notification_period        none
        service_notification_options    c,r
        host_notification_options       d,r
        service_notification_commands   notify-by-epager
        host_notification_commands      host-notify-by-epager
        email                           1231231234 at vtext.com
        }

With the above, I can simply set the notification period to none and
thus pages are disabled.   Can anyone think of another way to do this,
other than timeperiods?   Keep in mind, that I still may want critical
emails, just not pages.

Thanks!