Nagios stopped checking most of my services!

Casey Allen Shobe casey at shobe.info
Tue Nov 3 04:03:40 CET 2009

On Nov 2, 2009, at 9:46 PM, Les Fenison wrote:
> Well, so far 3 of us with the same problem on the same day.  I have
> to believe it is daylight savings time related.

I'm gonna go with that too.  I had a sort of hunch that might  be it
earlier.  Gonna change the servers to UTC time zone, which they should
have been in in the first place (I like servers to always be in UTC).
I thought it had been a couple days since it had been checking, but I
could be wrong about that.  Date might also have been off on the
servers - I just set up NTP clients on them today.

> My fix is to go click on each service one by one and reschedule.
> Then they start checking normally again.

I don't have authentication set up so didn't have that option. :P

> I wonder if there is anyway to force an automatic reschedule of all
> services and hosts for next year when this happens again?

Better would be for the software to be fixed (and upgraded).  Or you
could change the server timezone to UTC.

You /could/ do what I did, and force service checking on all your
hosts by echoing a line for each host into nagios.cmd.  See here:
http://old.nagios.org/developerinfo/externalcommands/commandinfo.php?command_id=130

I'm not sure if that includes the effect of this one with it:
http://old.nagios.org/developerinfo/externalcommands/commandinfo.php?command_id=128

I just did it for one host, saw the orphan messages, then did rm of
retention.dat to fix all the rest.

Cheers,
--
Casey Allen Shobe