Nagios stopped checking most of my services!

Andy Howell AndyHowell at austin.rr.com
Tue Nov 3 03:43:57 CET 2009

Les Fenison wrote:
> I had nagios working great.  Checking 6 hosts and about 85 services.
> Then suddenly, all services on all hosts except one stopped checking.
> The next scheduled check is about 24 hours from the last check.  I had
> been checking every 5 minutes.
>
> Restarting nagios didn't help.    I am using a gui NagioSQL to edit my
> configuration files so I suspect it did something to me but I have no
> clue where to look except where I have already looked.
>
> What can cause nagios to just stop checking everything like that or to
> randomly switch to every 24 hours rather than the configured every 5
> minutes?
>
> I am having to manually do force checks to get it to check.
>
> Here are some things I have checked...
>
> Hosts  check_interval is 5, retry_interval is 1
> Services  check_interval is 10, retry_interval is 2
>
> So where could Nagios be getting the idea that it is suppose to be every
> 24 hours?

I had the same experience yesterday. Maybe daylight savings related? At about 11pm, all
the services were scheduled for 11pm the following day. I figured it was something I did
wrong. I noticed that "next_check" time in /var/log/nagios/retention.dat was wrong. I
renamed the file and restarted nagios. It worked fine after that.

I using version 3.2.

Regards,

	Andy