General tcp_check question

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Fri May 29 16:39:51 CEST 2009

Hi Sergio. Please always send to nagios-users instead of me directly.
More below --

On May 29, 2009, at 9:20 AM, Sergio Ariel wrote:

> I have read this from an answer you did once (talking about
> check_tcp plugin):
>
>> It's making a TCP connection to port XXXX and seeing if it gets a
>> connection, nothing more. --
>> Marc
>
> I'm trying to use this plugin to check a proxy service in some
> secondary servers I have under my main proxy server, I mean, I try
> to connect to 3128 port at each of these secondary proxy servers,
> but I want to use -e  option that check_tcp bring. I don't know what
> to send to sever in order it respond me with any page, for example
> an error page in which I can read the domain name of the server.
> Any advice?

Use check_http instead. It's much better suited to this task. For
example, I use --

define command {
     command_name                   check_caching
     command_line                   $USER1$/check_http -H www.ena.com -
I $HOSTADDRESS$ --onredirect follow -p 8080 -wt 20 -ct 30 -to 35 -u http://www.ena.com
  -R \/html
}

This translates to 'ask the proxy at $HOSTADDRESS$ on port 8080 to get
the index page at http://www.ena.com, follow any redirects received
and look for the string "/html" in the page.'

--
Marc