How to send notification to non-admin group ?

J. Bakshi joydeep at infoservices.in
Fri May 29 09:52:57 CEST 2009

Dear all,

Coming back to the list after a long time. Hope you all are well.

I monitor a few remote servers with nagios  (  2.12 ).  I have
individual cfg file for every remote servers under nagios monitoring. I
need to add another email notification for a particular server say
serverA. Hence in serverA.cfg I have added the following

````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
define contact{
        contact_name               nagios-others
        alias                           Nagios Others
        service_notification_period     24x7
        host_notification_period        24x7
        service_notification_options    w,u,c,r
        host_notification_options       d,r
        service_notification_commands   notify-by-email
        host_notification_commands      host-notify-by-email
        email                          xxx at example.com  #<replaced by
original>
        }

define contactgroup{
        contactgroup_name       others
        alias                   Nagios AdminOthers
        members                 nagios-others
        }

define host{
   name           serverA   ; The name of this host template
   use            generic-host   ; This template inherits other values
from the generic-host template
   check_period         24x7     ; By default, Linux hosts are checked
round the clock
   max_check_attempts      30    ; Check each Linux host 30 times (max)
   check_command              check-host-alive ; Default command to
check Linux hosts
   notification_period     workhours   ; Linux admins hate to be woken
up, so we only notify during the day
                     ; Note that the notification_period variable is
being overridden from
                     ; the value that is inherited from the generic-host
template!
   notification_interval      130      ; Resend notification every 2 hours
   notification_options    d,u,r    ; Only send notifications for
specific host states
   contact_groups       admins,others      ; Notifications get sent to
the admins by default
   register       0     ; DONT REGISTER THIS DEFINITION - ITS NOT A REAL
HOST, JUST A TEMPLATE!
   }

After starting nagios I have checked that emails come to me as a member
of admins group but no to the another email address ( member of others
group )

I  have checked it several times;  "   even nagios -v nagios.cfg "
reports no problem but still the another email-id is not getting any mail.
Kindly enlighten me what is wrong here.

Thanks