HTTP and Web Form based Auth

Paul Weaver paul.weaver at bbc.co.uk
Thu May 28 20:17:28 CEST 2009

> How are folks checking site functionality with sites that use auth
> *other* than basic (apache) auth?
> I didn't find any plugins that support populating forms and posting.

I use a perl script and WWW:Mechanize. Here's a snippet of a check which
works on a site that stores you username as a cookie, having entered it
on a form. This check will keep that cookie, and only log in (the login
process can be very slow, but I want to know how quickly the rest of the
site is) if the cookie gets invalidated.

I have a similar check that always logs in, without using a cookie.
Cookies are stored in /tmp/pluginname.hostname.cookies.dat

my $mech = WWW::Mechanize->new( autocheck => 1 );
my $jar = $0;
$jar =~ s/.*\///g;
$jar .= ".$HOST.cookies.dat";
$mech->cookie_jar(HTTP::Cookies->new(file => "/tmp/$jar", autosave =>
1));
foreach my $WIRE (split(/,/,$WIRES)) {
	my $url = "http://$HOST/wbmain/HHwires.aspx?Wire=$WIRE&view=2";
	$mech->get($url);
	# If we need to log in, do so
	if ($mech->uri() =~ /loginp.aspx/) {
		$mech->form_number(1);
		$mech->field("txtname", "user.name");
		$mech->field("txtPassword", "password");
		$mech->tick("remembermachine");
		$mech->click();
		$logins++;
	}