Custom report showing weekly Average/Max values for CPU/RAM/SWAP/Availability

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Tue May 26 23:03:48 CEST 2009

On May 26, 2009, at 3:25 PM, Ayotunde Itayemi wrote:

> Hi All,
> I am currently monitoring several parameters on my clients (CPU,
> RAM, Disk, availability, SWAP, etc)
> I am also collecting performance data from the plug-ins which is
> being used by PNP4nagios to create graphs.
>
> I have a request from “management” for a single report (weekly on
> Monday mornings at 9am) which shows the average and maximum values
> of each of these parameters (at least CPU, RAM, SWAP)

I don't use PNP but I expect this will be work for you unless it has
built-in reporting for this (I don't believe it does). I would
encourage you to learn more about how RRDTool works by reading the
Documentation and Tutorials at http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/index.en.html
. That will give you a good basis for the concepts you will need to do
do this. To obtain the textual values for these parameters, you'll
need to use the command-line rrdtool program to fetch the values from
the rrd files directly. rrdtool can fetch the AVERAGE value at each
stored point during the week and you'll need to add those up and
divide by the number of values to determine the single average value
(man rrdfetch). You could also pick the MAX value from that output or
maybe PNP also includes a MAX rra you can fetch.

> and Availability using a single row per server. The duration for the
> report is the previous one week (Monday 00:00 to Sunday 11:59PM)

Nagios Email Reporter might be the ticket here.

> I think it should be possible if one knows the right tables to query
> and possibly how to string the right query together, but with very
> little idea of the tables, their relationships (not to mention that
> I am not a DBA) it’s a very tall order for me.

There are no databases or tables to query unless you're using NDOUtils
and even then, getting this information wouldn't be trivial, IMHO.

--
Marc