Using both NTLM and htpasswd file authentication for NAGIOS web interface

Ayotunde Itayemi Ayotunde.Itayemi at zain.com
Sat May 23 14:34:02 CEST 2009

Hi All,

I would like to use both NTLM authentication and htpasswd authentication
to grant access to the NAGIOS web interface. If possible, authenticate
against Windows AD first, and if not successful, authenticate against
the apache htpasswd file (possibly use the htpasswd file like a
fall-back/default authentication mechanism).

My /etc/httpd/conf.d/nagios.conf file's content is listed below.  I
suspect I need to incorporate "AuthType Basic" in there somehow, but I
have tried various option (specifying the htppasswd file too, but I
usually end up with the authentication not functioning at all)

The first access dialog box has the text "Enter username and password
for http://mynagios" and if I enter a valid Windows AD credential, I get
logged in. If instead, I select cancel on this dialog box, I get a
second access dialog box with the text "A username and password are
being requested by http://znlnagios. The site says: "NAGIOS". If I
supply a valid Windows AD credential, I get logged in also.

This also brings me to a related issue, I cannot use the "Downtime"
module - and any other module by which I can submit a command. I get the
message that I am not authorized to submit the command to Nagios. Yet, I
have added the user (MYDOMAIN\username and also username) to the
relevant sections of the cgi.cgi file.

Thanks.

The content of /etc/httpd/conf.d/nagios.conf

# cat /etc/httpd/conf.d/nagios.conf

  NTLMAuth on

  NTLMAuthoritative on

  NTLMBasicAuth on

  NTLMBasicRealm NAGIOS

  AuthUserFile /usr/local/nagios/etc/htpasswd.users

  NTLMDomain MY-WINDOWS-DOMAIN

  NTLMLockfile /tmp/_my.lck

  NTLMServer my-winaddc1

  NTLMBackup my-winaddc2