Using a different notification command after a certain downtime

Georg M. Sorst georgsorst at gmx.de
Fri May 22 19:05:20 CEST 2009

Hi list!

I am currently integrating Skype into our monitoring to provide SMS
notifications. It's working pretty fine and if you're interested you can
check out my documentation in the Nagios wiki [1].

However, I had one tiny problem with the configuration that I would like
to sort out if possible. The problem is: When the HTTPs are down for
more than 20 minutes I want to be notified by SMS, but I still want to
use the regular mail notifications (currently set to occur after I
believe 3 Minutes). My solution to this was to duplicate the service
definitions for HTTP to provide different check intervals / max check
attempts (coming out at 10 minutes and 20 minutes respectively) and
contact groups / contacts (the contacts in the first group use mail
notifications, the contacts in the second group use SMS notifications,
but are essentially the same users as in the first group, just
duplicated). Have a look at the wiki page if this description is unclear.

So, in essence my question is if there is any way to tell Nagios to
"switch" to a different notification command after a certain downtime or
any other way to avoid this duplication.

Thanks and best regards,
Georg

[1] http://community.nagios.org/wiki/index.php/SkypeSmsNotification