Advanced permissions for the web interface

Alex Burger alex_b at users.sourceforge.net
Thu May 21 05:05:42 CEST 2009

On the Nagios-Users list back in November 2006 there was a discussion
about adding advanced permissions to Nagios for hosts and services.
Users (including myself) were looking for a way to grant users the
ability to view hosts, but not submit commands and to allow for more
complex permissions.  I also wanted a way to limit which hosts a user
would be notified for while still giving them access to view the status
in the web interface.  The can_submit_commands only helps with part of
the problem.

I originally created a patch to add advanced permissions for Nagios
2.5-2.8 and have been using it for over two years in production.  I
created a 3.0 version back in November 2006 before 3.0 was released but
I only recently updated it for 3.0.6.

The available permissions for each contact / contact group are:

Permission 	Description
r 		View in web interface
x 		Submit commands for this host/service in web interface
w 		Not needed yet.  Maybe some of the other programs
		that allow you to modify the configuration files could
		use this permission to allow a user to modify the host /
		service.
n 		Notify if contact has a pager or email defined

Example:

	contact_groups          netops:rwxn, helpdesk:r

See http://www.fragit.net/nagios.html for more details and the patch.

I'm not expecting this to go in to future releases but I hope that
similar functionality will be added to any new web interfaces.  I wanted
to share it in case anyone else has similar needs.

Alex