Monitoring switches via SNMP --

Mike Saldivar mike.saldivar at advocatecreditrepair.com
Thu May 21 01:11:28 CEST 2009

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 5:15 PM, Mike Saldivar <
mike.saldivar at advocatecreditrepair.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I have a new installation of Nagios, Version 3.0.6, running on Ubuntu
> 8.10.  I followed the Quick Start guide for Ubuntu, and everything went
> swimmingly, installing Nagios, the Plug-ins, Apache, et al.  Nagios started
> up and monitored itself, and following the quick-starts for Linux and
> Windows, I've been able to get it to monitor all my hosts.
>
> So I'm now trying to get it to monitor a Cisco ASA 5510 VPN.  On the ASA, I
> enabled SNMP, and pointed it to the Nagios machine for reporting.
>
> On the Nagios box, I copied up the switch.cfg, changed the IP address and
> hostname, etc, following the instructions:
> http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/monitoring-routers.html
>
> Restarting, I see these errors such as this.  Posting the error, then the
> corresponding portion of the switch.cfg:
>
> Inside Interface   CRITICAL     05-07-2009 16:54:07     0d 2h 53m 31s
> 3/3     (Return code of 127 is out of bounds - plugin may be missing)

Ah ha, I've discovered that check_snmp was not installed with the rest of
the Nagios plugins.  Apparently, if net-snmp and net-snmp-utils are not
already installed, the plugins installer skips installing that plugin.

Here's a configure of check_snmp 1.4, freshly downloaded from Nagios
Exchange:

root at dfslit1:~/check_snmp-1.4# ./configure
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... mawk
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking whether gcc and cc understand -c and -o together... yes
checking for net-snmp-config... /usr/bin/net-snmp-config
checking for init_snmp in -lnetsnmp... no
configure: error: snmp library not found

I looked through the Ubuntu package website, and tried installing any
package I could find that's related to SNMP, but already have them all
installed.

snmp is already the newest version.
libsnmp-base is already the newest version.
libsnmp15 is already the newest version.
snmpd is already the newest version.
libsnmp-perl is already the newest version.

Is there an inherent incompatibility between Ubuntu 8.10 and the check_snmp
plugin?  Do I need to go the all Perl/CPAN route?  I can perform snmpwalks,
but I don't know of any other way to find out what I'm missing.

nagios at dfslit1:~$ snmpwalk -v1 -c public 10.5.1.2 system
SNMPv2-MIB::sysDescr.0 = STRING: Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance Version
7.0(4)
SNMPv2-MIB::sysObjectID.0 = OID: SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.9.1.669
[...]

Thanks,
-Mike