Available Macro's in notes_url

Bryan Loniewski brylon at jla.rutgers.edu
Fri May 15 21:29:39 CEST 2009

We are running Nagios 3.1.0 and are trying to access various Macros
(e.g. $HOSTGROUPNAME$) from within a host definition's notes_url, for
example:

<snipped>
notes_url /notes/hostinfo.php?HOSTNAME=$HOSTNAME$&HOSTGROUPNAME=$HOSTGROUPNAME$
<snipped>

The file hostinfo.php is simple for now, it just echo's out the
query passed:

<?php
echo $_GET["HOSTNAME"] . " is the hostname!!!";
echo '<br>';
echo $_GET["HOSTGROUPNAME"] . " is the hostgroupname!!!";
echo '<br>';
?>

The $HOSTNAME$ Macro correctly gets expanded out (either when hovering
over the notes icon or viewing the notes webpage the link is pointing
to), however the $HOSTGROUPNAME$ Macro does not get expanded.
Interestingly, custom Macros defined for a host definition are also
expanded correctly when used in the notes_url.

We came across a few posts about this issue:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.network.nagios.user/60602
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.network.nagios.user/52775

the latter post stating Nagios 3x may address this issue of what
Macros may be available for the notes_url.

Is there any documentation/plans/etc... of what Macros are/will be
accessible from the notes_url? Did we overlook something? Is there a
way to access the $HOSTGROUPNAME$ Macro within a host definition's
notes_url?

Bryan Loniewski
Rutgers University
CSS - System Administrator