Upgrade from 1.3 version to 3+

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Thu May 14 22:12:43 CEST 2009

2009/5/14  <venu_vustipalli at readersdigest.com>:

> Can anyone tell me the benifits/features in the Nagios version 3 when we
> compared to version 1.3.

I'm too young to remember version 1.3!

> I know the latest version is always better but, Just trying to see if it's
> worth the effort.

Where can I start??

Here's my personal favourite features of 3 over 2 :

Templates, inheritance and suchlike are a whole lot better in 3, so
you can create a much leaner set of config files.  Especially you no
longer need to specify seperate hostextinfo and serviceextinfo
definitions.  This for me has halved the time it takes to add new
hosts & services in many cases.

A huge difference is that host checks can now be run in parallel.
This for me means Nagios can cope okay during a major outage (although
I'm pleased to report we haven't had any of those since I upgraded to
3 except planned ones).

There are lots of other diferences, but those are the ones which have
made the biggest difference to me.

Another thing well worth noting is that there are lots of really great
add-ons for Nagios and you won't be able to try most of them unless
you upgrade.  IMO, PNP is an absolutely must-have and is just
oh-so-easy to install.  It gets even better when combined with DRRAW.
NagVis is absolutely brilliant for doing dashboards (if that's what
you want).  NexSM is a great replacement for the network map -
especially if you have more than a couple of dozen hosts.

And lastly, now that you know how brilliant Nagios 3 (with addons) is,
if you don't upgrade then everyone here will question your sanity!
:-)

hth,

Jim