Benifits from version 3 compared to 1.3

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu May 14 21:03:59 CEST 2009

On May 14, 2009, at 1:21 PM, venu_vustipalli at readersdigest.com wrote:

> Can anyone tell me the benifits/features in the Nagios version 3
> when we compared to version 1.3.
> I know the latest version is always better but, Just trying to see
> if it's worth the effort.

If you're asking this question, you should upgrade. It's telling that
you do not know how to find this out yourself ;) . For no other
reason, the longer you wait --
	- the more capable you must be to support yourself. There are likely
to be few people here that used 1.3, let alone remember specific
details about it to help support you. The longer you wait, the fewer
there are.
	- the more difficult it will become to convert your existing system
to the new version. There are required configuration changes for each
version. The greater the difference between versions, the more complex
it becomes.

If your comfortable with those, then in brief--
	- Bug fixes too numerous to count
	- Significant performance improvements, especially for larger sites.
	- Active host checks are no longer detrimental (but still aren't
required)
	- Multi-line plugin output is supported
	- much improved timeperiod definitions/flexibility
	- Native DB support dropped
	- Event Broker API added
	- Regex support within config files.

For a more complete list, see the 'What's New' documentation for each
version at http://www.nagios.org/docs/ (click the HTML link for each
version).

--
Marc