Service escalations registering, but not enforcing

Bruce Thayre bthayre at physics.ucsd.edu
Wed May 13 21:25:21 CEST 2009

Hello,
I'm having an issue i have not been able to resolve.  I'm using nagios
3.0.4 and have a ton of service escalations defined, however they do not
seem to be enforced.  I've also noticed, that while i've defined all of
my services to use the generic-service template (which by default, has a
notification_interval set to 60) i receive notifications every 30
minutes despite the generic-service definition and escalations.

My services.cfg:  http://dpaste.com/43794/
My templates.cfg: http://dpaste.com/43795/

If i run nagios -v nagios.cfg my output looks like:

Nagios 3.0.4
Copyright (c) 1999-2008 Ethan Galstad (http://www.nagios.org)
Last Modified: 10-15-2008
License: GPL

Reading configuration data...

Running pre-flight check on configuration data...

Checking services...
    Checked 338 services.
Checking hosts...
    Checked 112 hosts.
Checking host groups...
    Checked 5 host groups.
Checking service groups...
    Checked 0 service groups.
Checking contacts...
    Checked 1 contacts.
Checking contact groups...
    Checked 1 contact groups.
Checking service escalations...
    Checked 973 service escalations.
Checking service dependencies...
    Checked 0 service dependencies.
Checking host escalations...
    Checked 0 host escalations.
Checking host dependencies...
    Checked 0 host dependencies.
Checking commands...
    Checked 25 commands.
Checking time periods...
    Checked 5 time periods.
Checking for circular paths between hosts...
Checking for circular host and service dependencies...
Checking global event handlers...
Checking obsessive compulsive processor commands...
Checking misc settings...

Total Warnings: 0
Total Errors:   0

Things look okay - No serious problems were detected during the
pre-flight check

So nagios can clearly see my service escalations.  So is there any
apparent reason why my service escalations are not enforced?  And also,
is there any apparent reason why my notification_interval is enforced as
30 minutes, when it is set to 60 in templates.cfg?  Any
help/input/ridicule would be greatly appreciated, as if i don't come up
with a solution, i'm just going to trash this install and use nagios 2.x

Thanks,
Bruce