NRPE permissions problem

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed May 13 16:44:21 CEST 2009

On May 13, 2009, at 7:17 AM, Thomas Stearn wrote:

> I have a Nagios server 3.0.6 running on Ubuntu 8.04 Server.  It is
> monitoring all things fine on multiple targets except the one below.
>
> On a certain target, I am trying to monitor my /var/log/auth.log
> file for bad activity, such as failed password attempts, or attempts
> to login as invalid users, etc.
>
> I am trying to do this via the check_log plugin via nrpe, but, I get
> a "Log check error: Log file /var/log/auth.log is not readable!"
> when the server checks on it.
>
> The easiest way I have to reproduce the error is the following
> manually executed command from the host server:
> /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H target -c check_badpw
>
> I know that it means that the file cannot be opened during the
> check, but, I don't understand why.
>
> ls -l of /var/log/auth.log:
> -rw-r----- 1 syslog adm 1590863 2009-05-12 10:47 /var/log/auth.log
>
> In /etc/groups, I have added the "nagios" user to the adm group, so
> I would think it should work.

[chop]

> So, I know it will work if I loosen the permissions on /var/log/
> auth.log, but, I'd prefer to keep them as tight as possible.
>
> When I am logged into the target as nagios and execute "id", I get,
> uid=5308(nagios) gid=5309(nagios) groups=4(adm),5309(nagios)
>
> When I embed "id" into the check_log script, I get:
> uid=5308(nagios) gid=5309(nagios)
>
> so, it would seem that it does not inherit the groups as I would
> assume it would.

I'm certain this was recently discussed but my search-fu is weak this
morning. It might have been on -devel or nagios-plugins though... I
didn't follow closely but the gist of it (I believe) is that xinetd
drops/ignores any secondary groups the user is a member of before
starting the server. No secondary groups, no access in your case.
Looking at my xinetd.conf man page, I see the following which may
help. You may also have better search-fu than me and can find the
original thread...

        groups           Takes  either  "yes" or "no".  If the groups
attribute
                         is set to "yes", then  the  server  is
executed  with
                         access  to  the groups that the server's
effective UID
                         has access to.  If the  groups  attribute
is  set  to
                         "no",  then  the  server  runs  with  no
supplementary
                         groups.  This attribute must be set to "yes"
for  many
                         BSD  systems.   This  attribute  can  be
set  in  the
                         defaults section as well.

--
Marc