My issue with Nagios

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Tue May 12 22:27:12 CEST 2009

On May 12, 2009, at 2:37 PM, venu_vustipalli at readersdigest.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm facing an issue with the Nagios 1.3 version, which is not having
> an windows.cfg file in /usr/local/nagios/etc/objects to start
> monitoring a windows server CPU.

You seem to be reading the nagios-3 documentation and trying to apply
it to your much much older version.

Such a file was not included with Nagios-1.3. You can use the file
included with nagios-3 as an example but understand that there may be
changes needed to the definitions to deal with configuration
differences between the two major versions. /path/to/nagios -v /path/
to/nagios.cfg can help you identify those if you don't read through
the What's New documentation for nagios-2 and nagios-3. You'll almost
certainly need to extract referenced commands{} from the nagios-3
commands.cfg file (check_nt at least) and move them to yours if you
don't have them as well.

You could also just read the documentation for NSClient++ (or
whichever program you're going to run on the Windows side) to learn
what config changes you can make.

Standard comment: The version you are using is very old. Unless there
is some compelling reason to continue using it, and you are
comfortable maintaining it with minimal support from the community,
you should strongly consider upgrading.

--
Marc