bzipping Nagios archives (was: Monitoring hosts/services in seconds)

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Tue May 12 13:24:58 CEST 2009

2009/5/12 Ales Rikovsky <Ales.Rikovsky at upol.cz>:

> I have to agree, but the reason is not to react so quickly, but to have
> host/service "performance" written in history.
> I have suspicion that same host has blackouts ....
> Anyway it maybe the goal for specialized switch monitoring software...

You might be better off looking at a tool dedicated to recording
performance information, for example Cacti or mrtg.  I would however
recommend that you configure your switches to send snmp traps to your
Nagios server - these will often point to where the problem lies if a
connection is dropping intermittently.  There are various ways you can
receive traps in Nagios, the easiest, but probably not the most
efficient is to use snmptt with NagTrap.

> But I'd like to ask you one more question.

Please do, but remember it's always best to post to the nagios-users
email list so everyone can benefit from the answer (or can disagree
with it if it's wrong).  I don't provide personal support!

> Can I get rid of bzipping
> archives so I can have an access to all stats? Or is is safe to unzip it
> manualy, but next week Nagios will zip it again? ....

Nagios itself does not bzip the archives under
/usr/local/nagios/var/archives/ (assuming those are the ones you
mean).  I expect you have a cron job running somewhere to do that.
Have a look in the files under /etc/cron.* and under
/var/spool/cron/crontabs .  I wouldn't normally zip any of the
archives unless you absolutely have to, as Nagios uses them for
reporting.

Cheers,

Jim