Problem in configuring NSClient ++

Sundar V S sunnywavez at in.com
Tue May 12 12:44:25 CEST 2009

Hi chris, Thanks for the update, as mentioned byyou, my default template.cfg is in the path, "/usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/template.cfg." The default host definition is intact and uncommented. No " # " in any part of the file. Is there any alternate way to cross check the configuration, am i specifying anything wrong in the configuration. Do tell me if you require any .cfg file from me to verify. Regards,Sundar  Original message From:Christopher McAtackney< cristoir at gmail.com >Date: 12 May 09 14:54:05Subject: Re: [Nagiosusers] Problem in configuring NSClient ++To: Sundar V S 2009/5/12 Sundar V S :> Hi,>> I configured NSClient on Windows server, as menitoned in Nagios> Documentation. Now, when i restarted the Nagios service on my Nagios Server,> i gave me the following error,> Stopping nag
 ios: No lock file found in /usr/local/nagios/var/nagios.lock>> When i started the nagios service it gave,> Starting nagios:CONFIG ERROR! Start aborted. Check your Nagios> configuration.>> I
 tried to verify the nagios configuration it gave me the below error.>> Nagios 3.0.6> Copyright (c) 19992008 Ethan Galstad (http://www.nagios.org)> Last Modified: 12012008>> License: GPL> Reading configuration data...>> Error: Template 'windowsserver' specified in host definition could not be> not found (config file '/usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/windows.cfg', starting> on line 25)> ***> One or more problems was encountered while processing the config> files...Check your configuration file(s) to ensure that they contain valid> directives and data defintions. If you are upgrading from a previous version> of Nagios, you should be aware that some variables/definitions may have been> removed or modified in this version. Make sure to read the HTML> documentation regarding the config files, as w
 ell as the 'Whats New' section> to find out what has changed.>> Can anyone guide me whats going wrong in my configuration. I followed all> the steps mentioned in NSCLient++ site. I want to m
 ontior my Windows Server> (10.180.117.172) on my Nagios Server (10.180.117.171) having OS RHEL 4.> Please help.Hi Sundar,Check your etc/objects/templates.cfg file and make sure that thefollowing default template is defined;define host{name windowsserver ; The name of this host templateuse generichost ; Inherit default values from the generichost templatecheckperiod 24x7 ; By default, Windows servers are monitored round the clockcheckinterval 5 ; Actively check the server every 5 minutesretryinterval 1 ; Schedule host check retries at 1 minute intervalsmaxcheckattempts 10 ; Check each server 10 times (max)checkcommand checkhostalive ; Default command to check if serversare "alive"notificationperiod 24x7 ; Send notification out at any time  day or nightnotificationinterval 30 ; Resend notif
 ications every 30 minutesnotificationoptions d,r ; Only send notifications for specific host statescontactgroups admins ; Notifications get sent to the admins by defaulthostgroups windowsser
 vers ; Host groups that Windows servers shouldbe a member ofregister 0 ; DONT REGISTER THIS  ITS JUST A TEMPLATE}This should be there by default, but it sounds like your configurationis missing this definition for some reason. It may be commented out bydefault, I can't remember  but if so, just uncomment it.ChrisGet Yourself a cool, short @in.com Email ID now!